Alabama Room Donations
Cell Phone Policy
Charges for Services
Computer Use Policy
Confidentiality of Library Records
Credit/Debit Card Policy
Facility Use Policy
Interlibrary Loan Policy
Internet Acceptable Use Policy
Materials Circulation Policy
Patron Behavior Policy
Request for Reconsideration of Library Materials
Service Hours Policy
Test Proctoring Guidelines
Unattended Children Policy
Video Streaming Device
Wireless Access Policy
Computer Use Policy
In response to advances in technology, the Public Library of Anniston-Calhoun County provides access to computer equipment, programs, databases, and the Internet (collectively, the “computer resources”) for information and educational purposes that meet the needs of the community. It is within this context that the Library provides computers for personal use and Internet access. Library patrons are expected to use computer resources in an effective, efficient, appropriate, ethical and legal manner. Violation of the Computer Use Policy may result in revocation of computer privileges.
1. The Library computers and their software, including those providing Internet access, must be used as installed. Installation, downloading, or modification software or hardware is prohibited.
2. Due to the demand for computers, the library restricts the amount of time allowed at computers for each patron. All computers in the main library are limited to two hours use Monday through Saturday, and one hour on Sundays, one time per day, per patron when there is an active waiting list. Otherwise staff may allow patrons to use the computers multiple times per day if computers are available. Time per computer must be taken at one time and may not be split. Computers that remain inactive for 5 minutes may result in loss of remaining computer time. Additional computers are provided for express e-mail service with a limit of 15 minutes. Although they may be used more than once per day by a patron, they may not be used for consecutive sessions when others are waiting. Computers at the Carver Branch Library are limited to 1 hour use per day, per patron when there is a waiting list. Time must be taken at one time and may not be split. Children 14 and under may use computers for only 30 minutes, one time per day unless completing schoolwork. Time may be extended at the discretion of the librarian.
3. Computer use in the Children’s Department is limited to children 10 years of age or younger with the exception of an adult who is accompanying a child 10 years or younger into the Children’s Department. Computers in the Children’s Department are limited to 2 hour use. The Library retains the right to terminate a caregiver's computer use for the day if they are not adequately supervising their children while using a Library computer.
4. The demand for the library’s computers may exceed the available supply. Therefore it is necessary to manage computer access fairly and equitably so that all patrons will have an opportunity to use the resource. Sign-in sheets and time limit software will be used to help accomplish this goal. Patrons must sign-in to use a computer on a next-available-computer basis. Parents must also sign in to use the Children’s computers. Computers will not be reserved for persons who are not in the immediate vicinity when a computer becomes available and their name is called.
5. Patrons may not download files to drives other than designated removable disks or flash drives. Flash drives are available for sale at the front desk of the library.
6. Prompt payment is required by patrons that incur charges for printing. The library does not extend credit for print jobs.
7. Patrons will respect the privacy of other users, and will refrain from attempting to view or read the screens of other computer users.
8. Computers automatically shut off 15 minutes before the library closes, after a 5 minute warning displays on the computer. The patron is responsible for saving all of their work prior to the automatic shutdown of the computer.
9. Computers will be turned off without notice during severe weather conditions or as needed.
Disclaimer: Users access the library computer hardware, software and documentation at their own risk. The Public Library of Anniston-Calhoun County is not responsible for equipment malfunction, loss of data, any damages to the user's disks, data etc. or electronic transactions of any type which are related to the public use of library computer resources.
Approved by the Board 4/29/14
Board Amended/Approved 7/29/2014 and 6/28/2017